Pre workout supplementsare becoming popular nowadays as people came to know about its role in increasing athletic performance. The supplement is a formula which includes ingredients like BCAAs, Citrulline, caffeine, creatine, Nitric oxide, amino acid, and beta alanine. These all ingredients help you to buck back fast when you feel drained and no motivation out during intense workouts. It will also build up your endurance and you want to lift more.
Looks healthy? Yes, but it comes with many side effects if taken for a longer period of time or more than recommended dosages.
What are the side effects of pre workout supplements?
Even though pre workout supplementshelp you to support your training, you should be aware of its side effects that could be irreversible.
- Sleeping Disorder: Though high dosage of caffeine in it helps you to stay energized throughout the training duration. But it also activates the norepinephrine and epinephrine in the body that can end you up to staring at the ceiling fan at night if taken in the evening or before going to bed.
- diarrhoea: Ingredients like taurine, sodium bicarbonate, arginine, magnesium, yohimbe, caffeine, and creatine can affect your sensitive system and send you to the toilet so frequently. Magnesium has laxative effects if it is in the form of magnesium citrate. Taking it above the recommended dosage may cause the diarrhoea.
- Digestive Problems: There are many ingredients in the pre workout supplementsincluding magnesium, caffeine, creatine, sodium bicarbonate, and many more that may cause your upset digestive system. Sodium bicarbonate should be in limited amounts in your supplement otherwise it can be dangerous for your digestive health.
- Headaches: Citrulline is a kind of amino acids and one of the most used ingredients in the pre workout supplements.It increases the blood flow in the muscles by increasing the nitric oxide while you are doing training. That results in muscle building. The amino acid is naturally produced in the body so external consumption isn’t good for health. It changes in small blood vessels in the brain that results in headaches as well as migraines.
- Bloating & Weight Gain: When it comes to enhancing the energy in the body or performance, creatine is the best-known ingredient. People who are in the lean body mass regime or high intensity exercise regime, take the supplement with this ingredient more often. Yes, it results in effective athletic performance and energy level. But have some side effects like weight gain, bloating, water retention, digestive issues, and many more.
How to reduce the side effects of pre workout supplements:
- If you are less than 18 years old, don’t take it.
- If you are not doing intense workout, you should not consume it.
- If your doctor does not allow you to have it, don’t consume it.
- Don’t cross the recommended dosages and take the supplement with water or any other liquid.
- Don’t drink coffee for extra caffeine. Buy the product that has the minimum amount of niacin to avoid skin issues.
- Don’t take pre workout supplementsfive hours before going to bed.
- Drink as much water as you can to keep yourself hydrated.
- Limit the amount of supplements if these symptoms are shown.
- Don’t use it for a longer period. In Fact use some days and keep a good gap between restarting the dosages.
- Check the supplements before buying if there are any ingredients that cause you allergic reactions avoid that. If there is an extra amount of Citrulline, it is better to avoid it as this amino acid can be produced in the body by itself. An excessive amount of it can lead to migraines and headaches. Avoid the supplements which consist of Sodium bicarbonate as it is the main reason for digestive system issues.
- Exercise regularly at least six months before using it. In this period your body will develop the capacity to tolerate the pre workout supplements.
- Consume it with other supplements like whey protein powder, mass gainer, weight gainer, with plenty of water. Don’t take empty supplements.
Pre workout supplements can increase your athletic performance but it doesn’t mean you will get the desired results. So, while using the supplements, stay conscious and maintain your wholesome diet and training. Stay aware and avoid such side effects.